After being thrust into a world of Shadowhunters and Downworlders; faeries, werewolves, vampires, and warlocks. Clary hopes for a normal life. But that cannot happen.
For Clary has a villainous father on the loose ready to reek havoc to all worlds, including hers and her newfound brother, Jace. After the killings of Downworlder children, Clary suspects her father is behind those killings. During all this Clary has to battle her feelings for her brother and decipher what she truly feels for her long-life best friend, Simon.
Also, let us not forget that Clary must find the cure to her mother’s coma.
“When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?”
The second installment of Cassandra Clare’s ‘The Mortal Instruments’ series is a fantastic continuation of the Shadowhunter world!
Preceded by: City of Bones (#1 The Mortal Instruments series) Check out our review on it – click here.
Followed by: City of Glass (#3 The Mortal Instruments series)
- Clarissa “Clary” Adele Fray, newly found out Shadowhunter, main protagonist of the series
- Jonathan “Jace” Christopher Wayland Lightwood, adopted son of the Lightwoods and most skilled Shadowhunter of his generation ♥♥♥♥ andddd Clary’s “brother” 😬😬😬
- Simon Lewis, Daylighter andClary’s ‘Mundane’, geeky BFF and possible love interest 😬😬😂😂
- Alexander “Alec” Gideon Lightwood, eldest son of the Lightwoods and Parabatai (AKA Shadowhunter BFF) of Jace
- Isabelle “Izzy” Sophia Lightwood, only daughter of the Lightwoods, known to be rebellious
- Magnus Bane, High Warlock of Brooklyn (AKA GLITTERY HOT STUFF)
- Valentine Morgenstern, Leader of the Circle (AKA bad guy who was supposed to be dead)
- Jocelyn Fray, mother of Clary who we learn is in coma 🙄
- Luke Garroway (AKA Lucian Graymark), Clary’s mother’s friend who helped raise her, also Leader of a Wolfpack
- Hodge Starkweather, the eccentric tutor of the New York Institute, forever cursed to remain indoors
This book goes into further depth of the Shadowhunter world. Cassandra Clare, we must say definitely knows how to develop characters. We felt what the characters were feeling, we empathised with them. Basically, you just love the fact that nearly all the characters we meet come in layers. We say ‘nearly’ because unfortunately, the main female protagonist is pretty much an open book. But we like to stay positive, so we embrace the impossibly good vibes that Clary radiates.
Simon and Clary become a thing (at the start of the book 😉 – so not for long), we can say hands down that it was quite amusing witnessing Simon’s attempts to solidify his status as Clary’s significant other (*SPOILERS* we all know that Clace is endgame, and if you don’t well…now you know….you have been enlightened!!! FINALLLYY!).
Of course, we did have a problem with being introduced to a beautiful man-boy (Jace) that needs to be with the perfect main female lead (Clary) in the first book – for us to be utterly devasted and confused to learn they cannot be OTP (unless you’re into that stuff??! That’s weird guys… very weird…totally weirded us out to the max….in fact nearly put us off totally if we hadn’t been spoiled…well kinda hinted).
Overall, this book would have flopped real hard for us if we didn’t think it had potential (it does/did). Which is why we gave it a 3 star rating. We feel this book needed to happen in order for it to get better in the later additions to this FABULOUS series!! But do not think for one moment that we did NOT like this book – ‘cuz we did and that’s mainly because of the characters stories and the involvement of Downworlders! We just came to love them all (more so now!) and you realise that’s all you need!! But a good plot helps as well – and trust us it does get better after this little glitch in the series!
What did you think of this book? Did you too have a problem with the whole ‘sibling’ thing going along with Clary and Jace? Who’s your fave character (ours was Simon in this book – of course, it’s incredibly hard to choose!)? Do you love this series as much as we do? Well comment down below – ‘cuz we want some fangirling/fanboying!!
Ciao from The Twins 😉